Motorized Bicycles in Utah
The state of Utah has different requirements for the different types of motor bikes. It groups motorized bicycles together with mopeds and scooters, and has separate laws for motor-assisted cycles and motorcycles. There are some specific criteria that your motorized bike must meet if it is to be considered a moped or motor-assisted scooter.
In Utah, electric bicycles are defined as bikes powered by an electric motor that produces no more than 1,000 watts, and has a top speed of 20 MPH on a flat surface.
You need a valid driver’s license to drive an e-bike on public roads.
In order for a bike to be considered a motorized bicycle or moped, it must meet the following:
- It must have no more than 3 wheels.
- It must have pedals.
- It must have an engine size no bigger than 50 CC and that produces no more than 2-brake horsepower.
- It must be unable to go more than 30 MPH on level ground.
If your bike meets the above criteria, then it is considered a moped and you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride – only a valid driver’s license.
Registration & Titling
Mopeds not required to be registered, but they must be titled if they are driven on public roads.
Unlike mopeds, motor-assisted scooters are not required to be titled (or registered.) But in order for a bike to be classified as a motor-assisted scooter, it has to meet some stricter guidelines:
- It must have an engine no bigger than 40 CC.
- It must be unable to go more than 25 MPH on level ground.
- It must be able to be propelled by human power alone.
- Also, it must have a braking system and at least 2 wheels that contact the ground, as well as a seat or a standing base.
With motor-assisted scooters, you can only drive on roads that have a maximum speed of 25 MPH.
For those under 15 years old, you must be under direct supervision of a parent or legal guardian to engage the motor on a motor-assisted scooter.
Lastly, it is important to note that your county may have it’s own additional rules or regulations.
Want a Motorized Bicycle?
We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!