Motorized Bicycle Laws in Alaska

Motorized Bicycles in Alaska

Generic Court GavelThere are many benefits to be had by using a motorized bicycle as your primary (or secondary) method of transportation. With rising gas prices, environmental concerns and a suffering economy, it’s no wonder more and more people are choosing them over other options.

Although the riding season in Alaska is very short lived, the DMV in Alaska still requires motorized bicycles, mopeds and scooters to be registered.

While there are federal laws for e-bikes, motorized bicycles, mopeds and scooters all have the same requirements in Alaska, and they are classified as any motor-driven cycle that has a 50 CC motor or smaller. You will need an M2 motorized cycle permit to ride one.

Getting Your M2 Motorized Cycle Permit

In order to get your M2 motorized cycle permit, you must:

  • Be 14 years of age or older.
  • Take and pass a written test for a standard drivers license, or have a learners permit.
  • Take and pass the written and driving tests for motorcycles.
  • Pass a standard vision test.
  • Pay a one-time fee of $20.

Registering Your Motor-Driven Cycle

In addition to the above requirements, you must also register your moped or scooter. And in order to register your vehicle, you must:

  • Have an M2 motorcycle permit
  • Have your MCO (Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin) if your vehicle is new.
  • Pay another fee of $60 to register your vehicle, and another $15 fee for titling.

In total for the permit, registration and title, it will cost you $95.

You must register in person at your local DMV office.

Want a Motorized Bicycle?

We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!