Motorized Bicycle Laws in New Hampshire

Motorized Bicycles in New Hampshire

Generic Court GavelMopeds are a great way to save money, get some exercise and have some fun while you do it. New Hampshire’s DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) recognized the increasing popularity of motorized bikes, and created the following laws and requirements for them.

Electric Bicycles

The State of New Hampshire defines electric bicycles to be bikes that have a motor that is no bigger than 750 watts, and can go no more than 20 MPH on level ground.

You do not need a driver’s license to ride an e-bike, but you must be at least 14 years old.


In New Hampshire, mopeds must be registered, but they do not require you to carry proof of insurance or follow the other regulations of motorcycles.

In order for your motorbike to be classified as a moped, however, it must meet the following requirements:

  • It must have a motor/engine that is no bigger than 50 cc, and produces 2 brake horsepower or less.
  • It must have an automatic transmission.
  • It is incapable of going more than 30 mph on a flat surface.

If your scooter or motorbike does not meet all of the requirements above, then it is most likely classified as a motorcycle and must follow all of the motorcycle laws and regulations.

Licensing and Registration

In New Hampshire, you need to carry a valid driver’s license or a moped license, and a registration in order to ride on public roads. When applying for a moped license, keep in mind that you will need to pass a written knowledge exam.

When registering your moped, you will need to bring the Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO), or a bill of sale. You’ll also need to bring $3 for the registration fee.

Want a Motorized Bicycle?

We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!

One thought on “Motorized Bicycle Laws in New Hampshire”