Motorized Bicycle Laws in Montana

Motorized Bicycles in Montana

Generic Court GavelThere are many benefits to be had by using a motorized bicycle as your primary (or secondary) method of transportation. With rising gas prices, environmental concerns and a suffering economy, it’s no wonder more and more people are choosing them over other options.

There are only a few differences between the different classifications and regulations for motorized bikes in Montana.

Motorized Bicycles

In Montana, a motorized bicycle or moped is any vehicle that meets the following requirements:

  • Has 2 or 3 wheels.
  • Has a maximum speed of 30 MPH on level ground.
  • Has a motor that is no bigger than 50 CC, and produces no more than 2 brake horsepower.

Any motorbike that exceeds the above specifications is likely considered a motorcycle.

You must obey the following laws while riding a moped:

  • You must have a headlight, taillight and tail reflector when driving at night.
  • You must always wear a helmet if you are under 18 years old (though it is still recommended if you are over 18.)
  • You must have a working horn that can be heard from at least 200 feet away.
  • If using a gas-powered motor, you must have a working muffler.
  • You must drive as far to the right side of the road as practical on public roadways.
  • You must obey all other traffic laws.

Moped Registration and Licensing

Unless a moped also has pedals that can propel the vehicle, it must be registered in order to be driven on public roadways. Once registered, you must affix your license plate on your moped (as you would a motorcycle.)

Unlike with scooters and motorcycles, you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a moped. However, you do still need a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.


In Montana, scooters must be titled and registered as you would with a motorcycle. In order to register your scooter, you visit your local county treasurer’s office and:

  • Complete a title application.
  • Pay a permanent registration fee of $53.25 to be street legal, or $114.50 to be street and off-highway legal.
  • Pay a Motorcycle Safety Fee of $16.
  • Pay $5 to the Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fund.

Additionally, you must obtain a motorcycle endorsement through the Montana MVD (Motor Vehicle Division) in order to ride on public roadways.

In order to get your motorcycle endorsement, you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old (or 15 years old if you pass a driver’s education course.)
  • Have a valid Montana driver’s license (or be in the process of getting one.)
  • Pass a motorcycle knowledge test.
  • Pass a motorcycle driving test.
  • Pay an an endorsement fee of 5o cents.

If you have any additional questions, we recommend that you contact the Title and Registration Bureau, at (406) 444-3661.

Want a Motorized Bicycle?

We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!