Motorized Bicycle Laws in Pennsylvania

Motorized Bicycles in Pennsylvania

Generic Court GavelThere are many benefits to be had by using a motorized bicycle as your primary (or secondary) method of transportation. With rising gas prices, environmental concerns and a suffering economy, it’s no wonder more and more people are choosing them over other options.

Like most states, Pennsylvania has different requirements and regulations for mopeds, scooters and motorcycles. There are many benefits to riding a motorized bicycle, so use the information below to determine what your motorbike is classified as.

Electric Bicycles

In the State of Pennsylvania, e-bikes are defined as bicycles that have a motor that is no bigger than 750 watts, and has a top speed of 20 MPH or less.

You do not need a driver’s license to drive on public roads, but you do need to be at least 16 years old.


In order for a motorized bike to be classified as a moped in the state on Pennsylvania, it must meet the following requirements:

  • It must have both pedals and a motor that can propel the vehicle.
  • The motor must not be bigger than 50 CC, and it must produce no more than 5 brake horsepower.
  • It must have a top speed of 25 mph.
  • It must have an automatic transmission.

You will need a valid Class C driver’s license to drive your moped on public roads. Additionally, you will need to get your moped registered (which is renewed annually) for a small fee of $9. Once registered, you will be issued a moped license plate which must be properly fitted and displayed on your moped.

You are not required to wear a helmet or eye protection while riding, but it is highly recommended.


Scooters are defined as “motor-driven cycles” in Pennsylvania, and fall somewhere in between moped and motorcycle regulations. To be considered a motor-driven cycle, your scooter must have a motor that produces no more than 5 brake horsepower.

Unlike mopeds, scooters are required to be inspected, and you will be issued a regular motorcycle license plate.

You need wear eye protection at all times while driving a motor-driven cycle. You must also wear a helmet if you are under 21 years old.

Lastly, you will need a Class M driver’s license to operate a motor-driven cycle; if you have a Class M license with an “8” restriction, then you scooter’s motor must be smaller than 50 CCs.

If your motor scooter exceeds the specifications outlined above, then it is considered a motorcycle, and you must obey all of the motorcycle laws and requirements.

Want a Motorized Bicycle?

We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!