Motorized Bicycles in Wisconsin
There are many benefits to be gained from riding a motorized bike as your method of transportation. However, The State of Wisconsin has the same restrictions for mopeds and what they define as motor bicycles. So, be sure that you understand the following laws and requirements.
The State of Wisconsin doesn’t currently have any laws specifically for electric bicycles. So, we have to refer to federal law.
Federally, you are not required to carry a driver’s license for e-bikes, and you aren’t required to get it registered, titled or carry any insurance.
In Wisconsin, motorized bicycles or mopeds are classified as any bike that:
- Has a maximum speed of 30 MPH on a flat surface.
- Is powered by a motor that is no bigger than 50 CC if it has an automatic transmission.
- Is powered by a motor that is no bigger than 130 CC if it has bicycle pedals that can fully propel the vehicle with human power.
If your motorized bike exceeds the above specifications then it is a motorcycle, and you must follow all of the motorcycle laws.
Moped and Motor Bicycle Laws
In order to drive a moped or motor bicycle on public roads, you will need a standard driver’s license, or a moped license. You’ll also need to get it registered and titled, which carries an annual fee of $23.
It’s important to note that while riding you must obey all regular traffic laws, as well the following regulations:
- You can’t drive on sidewalks.
- You can’t drive on freeways.
- As long as you’re not blocking traffic, you can take up a traffic lane.
- You can’t carry any passengers.
While you aren’t required to wear a helmet, it is highly recommended.
Motorized scooters are defined as vehicles that:
- Have 2 wheels.
- Have an electric or gasoline motor that is capable of fully propelling the vehicle.
Unlike mopeds and motorized bicycles, you aren’t required to register and title a scooter. However, they also can’t be driven on public roads.
Want a Motorized Bicycle?
We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!