Motorized Bicycles in Hawaii
One might think that Hawaii has the perfect environment for riding motorized bikes or scooters around. Interestingly, Hawaii is still primarily using cars to get around, even though it has high gas prices. But, scooters are rising a bit in popularity due to their handiness.
Although Florida doesn’t have it’s own laws for e-bikes, there are federal laws in place, so you’ll have to reference those.
According to federal law, e-bikes are defined as bikes that have a motor no bigger than 750 watts, and that have a top speed of 20 MPH on level ground.
You don’t need a drivers license to ride a electric bicycle according to federal law.
It’s important to note that if you use a bicycle kit, rather than purchasing a pre-made electric bike, the federal laws don’t apply.
Perhaps one of the reasons motor-assisted cycles aren’t seen more often in Hawaii is because you need to register them with the county. Moped registration tends to be less than it is for motorized scooters, since scooters are treated very similar to motorcycles.
When riding a moped in Hawaii, you must obey the following regulations:
- You must be at least 15 years old to drive a moped.
- You must be facing forward with one leg on each side of the moped while driving.
- Only one person can ride a moped at a time.
- If you are going slower than the normal speed of traffic, you must ride as far on the right side of the road as practical, except when you are turning to the left.
- You cannot ride on sidewalks or footpaths.
In order for a motor-driven cycle to be considered a moped, it must:
- Have a motor that is 2-brake horsepower, 50 cc, or 1,492 watts or less.
- Be unable to go more than 30 mph on a level ground without human assisted propulsion.
- Have an automatic transmission.
If your vehicle exceeds the above specifications, then it is likely categorized as a motorcycle, and must follow all of the motorcycle laws and regulations.
Motorized scooters are treated similar to motorcycles. In fact, the laws and regulations are essential the same for both motorcycles and scooters; you must have a valid motorcycle license and carry the minimum required insurance.
Want a Motorized Bicycle?
We have a great selection of motorized bicycles for sale! While we recommend getting an e-bike, we also have motorized bicycle kits for sale and bicycle accessories for sale. All of our listings are highly reviewed, as you will see for yourself!